We noticed that you're using an outdated browser. The Tripadvisor web site may not display properly. Upgrading your browser will ensure the best possible experience on our web site:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Walks

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
57 posts
London Walks
Save

Good evening,

If you've done any of the London Walks, which do you recommend (or any to skip)? These seem economical and get good reviews. I think my family would really enjoy one or more, but would be interested to hear what you have to say. (Obviously the pub walk isn't an option with 12 and 15 year-olds, and we're not huge Beatles fans.) We're going in April.

I tried doing a search through the forum, but it wasn't very efficient.

Thank you!

20 replies to this topic
Shepherd, MI
Level Contributor
57 posts
17 reviews
7 helpful votes
1. Re: London Walks
Save

We (2 adults, 12-yr-old, 18-yr-old) loved the Harry Potter Film Locations walk (www.walks.com/popular-walks/harry-potter).

Very entertaining, and covered a lot of ground in the City and Southwark along the river.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
10 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: London Walks
Save

I did the overview walk on Sunday morning and it was good. I liked the Jack the Ripper walk but many on the board do not. They do change the walks every so often. One of the walks I did about 3 years ago is no longer on the list. The schedule comes out a few months in advance for the "season"

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
38,809 posts
3. Re: London Walks
Save

If I'd time for only one, It would have to be.

Old Westminster.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
614 posts
10 reviews
4 helpful votes
4. Re: London Walks
Save

I really enjoyed The Famous Square Mile. I have taken one of the 'This is London' tours but it wasn't the one with the Changing of the Guard.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
37,406 posts
7 reviews
16 helpful votes
5. Re: London Walks
Save

I did two walks in 2012 and they were very good, but I can’t see either on their calendar. One was an Olympics walk (just before London 2012) so no surprise there.

The other started at Covent Garden and covered (well) Covent Garden, the Royal Opera House, the Hunterian Museum, the LSE and ended at (inside) the Royal Courts of Justice. That was a good’un though the Hunterian is a medical museum and not for the squeamish. But at the end (inside the RCJ) we were free to go and watch whatever trial we wanted (absolutely no photography, criminal offense). I found an appeal against a conviction with two anxious police officers waiting to testify and a third being hauled over the coals by M’learned friend.

Anything that covers the Royal Courts of Justice (“Legal London” or something like that) would be good.

And I’m originally from London, so only did those out of interest, and would do so again.

Edited: 1 year ago
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
296 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
6. Re: London Walks
Save

I’ve done several and they were all very good. But, many were history/literature oriented and I’m not sure I remember any teens in the groups. Harry Potter seems like a good choice and will go through areas with broader appeal. My daughter did the Jack the Ripper tour as a college student and thought it pretty intense. I see they do have an afternoon Jack tour. Also, I took the Old Jewish Quarter which was very good and visits some of the locations associated with Jack the Ripper -the area was very much an immigrant area and its stories resonated with our American immigration stories to me.

I wonder if the Brunell tour that goes into the ‘secret tunnel’ might appeal to your teens. Also, be sure to check closer to your travel dates for their special tours-sometimes some really great ones. And, finally, I did a day tour to Cambridge with them and it was well organized -if you are thinking of a day trip and don’t want to do a standard coach tour.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: London Walks
Save

You don’t need to be Beatles fans and if you were then you would head to Liverpool for that. In my opinion the walk you must do would be the Jack the Ripper walking tour and best done at night. This is great if you have kids as it can be a little scary and it’s often the thing that will get families talking about afterwards. You would need to get of at Aldgate East tube station and the tour starts outside Exit 4. It lasts for around 2 hours and it’s taken by an experienced guide usually dressed in the relevant Victorian costume. The tour finishes at the back of Spitalfields market and the famous Ten Bells pub. It’s best to purchase the tickets in advance. It will cover the areas of where Jack the Ripper frequented and brutally murdered his victims and takes you through some seedy and dark Victorian back alleys around Whitechapel (Ripper territory) in the East end of London. When the tour ends you should then head to nearby Brick Lane to enjoy a famous curry in one of the many Indian/Bangladesh curry houses that line Brick lane. Some of the best curry houses in the UK.

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
57 posts
8. Re: London Walks
Save

Thank you so much everyone! This is really helpful info.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
261 posts
9. Re: London Walks
Save

My then-13 year old nephew LOVED Jack the Ripper - I was less into it but still enjoyed it. My favorite was the Inns of Court, but I am a law type. I did the Greenwich walk on my most recent trip, starts with a boat trip from the Tower of London which was nice and the walk was enjoyable too - I had been to Greenwich previously so I feel like I didn't get as much out of the walk as someone who hasn't been before, but a nice time none the less, especially if you are thinking about including Greenwich in your itinerary anyway.

Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
4,342 posts
8 reviews
7 helpful votes
10. Re: London Walks
Save

Agree with Charlotte #6, Brunel Tour excellent and as it uses River Boat and Docklands Railway much less walking, but adds to the interest. The guide was particularly good on the River Boat, covering a much wider topic. Only downside might be the extra cost of boat. Combined with a trip to Greenwich would make a great day out. I found the Brunel Museum disappointing.

Reply to: London Walks
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
US$USD
Canada (English)

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.

亚洲欧美日韩精品专区,爱啪国产精品视频在线,亚洲国产精品免费线观看视频