We noticed that you're using an outdated browser. The Tripadvisor web site may not display properly. Upgrading your browser will ensure the best possible experience on our web site: Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
COVID-19 Update: Local restaurants need your support! Purchase a gift card directly from them and make a difference. Contact the restaurant for instructions.
All photos (894)
All photos (894)
What is Travellers’ Choice?
Tripadvisor gives a Travellers’ Choice award to accommodations, attractions and restaurants that consistently earn great reviews from travellers and are ranked within the top 10% of properties on Tripadvisor.
The restaurant serves up refined Peranakan cuisine that preserves the essence and complexities of traditional food, with astute twists that lift the often rich dishes to a different level. Helmed by chef Malcolm Lee, Candlenut is committed to continually create inspired and elevated Peranakan dishes using the freshest seasonal produce available.
Asian, Singaporean, Fusion
Takeout, Gift Cards Available, Reservations, Seating, Parking Available, Highchairs Available, Wheelchair Accessible, Serves Alcohol, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Accepts Credit Cards, Table Service
Cosy restaurant perfect for lunch. Amazing service.
We had a set lunch and a bottle of wine.
The set lunch came with 3 appetisers, 5 main dishes and 1 dessert. Food was amazing.
We had a wonderful meal
we booked this with high hopes especially as they rang to check our dietary requirements. I'm vegetarian and my wife doesn't take red meat which they were told, we also told them we'd like the tasting menu when they rang.
so it was a bit...of a surprise that on arrival the following happened:
1) I asked if we could sit outside which was completely empty bar 2 tables, no they said even though there was no one there and the place was empty (the option to choose wasn't available when booking)
2) we had to check in which is fine but to be told we had to leave the restaurant because StarHub doesn't work inside is quite ridiculous - get it fixed if you know it's a problem
3) despite being empty then they showed us to the worst table in the restaurant at the back next to the kitchen entrance and serving part
4) the atmosphere was terrible, not conducive to any kind of dining
5) we explained that, as per the phone call, we'd like the tasting menu for both of us. they said that they could only do it for the fish eater and even then they couldn't replace the red meat/pork in the tasting menu which was not very friendly or helpful.
I said how am i to match my wife's dishes if I have vegetarian ala carte and my wife has the tasting menu...they said "the chef and kitchen team don't have the resources to create a vegetarian tasting menu". you mean you don't have any vegetables I said sarcastically? they repeated that the chef couldn't do more than a couple of vegetarian dishes.....
that was the final straw, we got up and left as they really didn't listen, couldn't care and really don't deserve your business, they are not customer focused at all
if Jeremy at JAG can create a different menu for every single person every night who comes in that is 8 courses based on the seasonal ingredients why can't another restaurant in Singapore using the same resources?
don't go here if you're vegetarian or you want good service they clearly don't want any customMore
3.5* if I had the option. Good but not very good.
Satay and rendang both tasty. Although I've had better rendang in SGP. Chicken curry was good enough but not amazing, nor was the fish dish we had.
Service was friendly and attentive, which tipped...me to 4* rather than 3.
Maybe the tasting menu would light it up a bit more, but too much fish on there. A veggie tasting menu would be a great addition.
Not in a rush to go back.More
Food was decent but service was a real let down.
1. Server served rice bowls with thumb in bowls, likely touching rice. Did the same for all 5 bowls.
2. Uninterested attitude from 4 out of 5 staffs that we interacted with.
3. Wanted to...order more soup, single personal bowl servings, but was told it’ll take at least 30mins with emphasis that they are serving a FULL HOUSE tonight. So I skipped that and thought nothing much of it until that attitude right after our dinner.
4. Was ok with all above until the bill being shoved to us mid way thru our table conversation, right after dessert on the pretense that one of use asked for the bill, real cheap move. “Eh... someone asked for the bill?!”
5. Staff clearing the table emphasising that he had to prepare for the next seating already.
6. Our reservation time 1845 which we kept accurately to and we had no intention of exceeding our 2hr dining allocation time for party of 5. But being rushed off right after the 90mins mark seriously left a bad taste. Attached my receipts to show time stamps.
7. Wasn’t expecting such service at all for a Michelin star restaurant charging such expensive price. Sorely disappointed. This communal dining experience had turned into a mass canteen dining experience in some cheap tour package.
I’ve definitely had much better experiences elsewhere for places without Michelin stars.More
Candlenut clearly looks and sounds like a fine dining restaurant - soft lighting, attentive service, quiet tinkling of wine glasses. The food is good, but not outstanding. That's the disappointment. Everything is a little too sweet. Top grade ingredients are used but they don't enhance...the taste of the end product. The amuse-bouche was a small sliver of rose apple topped with sambal... which makes you scratch your head and go huh? The babi buah keluak is insipid, lacking the bold punch expected of this dish. Using pork rather than chicken for this dish doesn't lift it. The buah keluak ice-cream is another looked-forward to dish that disappointed. Covered with caramel, chocolate sauce and popping candy, the hint of buah keluak is almost completely overwhelmed. At nearly $200 for their 'ah-ma kase' set, I'm not sure true blue Nynonya bibiks will approve.More
You can imagine , they take an old barrack and transform it to a up market restaurant but the deco is cheap. The restaurant is promoted as Peranakan but it more fusion and lack authenticity. The herbs and spices don’t feature and the food lack...fragrant. The server tried to introduce each item but his command of the language is mediocre. Poor job.
The placed is frequented by tourists and youngsters. Generally these group of people lack experience with cooking and knowledge of Peranakan food. Conclusion: it is a tourist trap and con job for the youngsters who spent previous money on expensive but food of poorer quality than hawker food. However if they like the mood And are willing to part with their hard earned money so be it! The only item I found outstanding was the lamb neck satay.More